Saturday, September 6, 2008

Kids are back in school and it's play time for mommy






Wow, the first week of school has ended. Normally I have such a hard time adjusting these first few weeks of school and I miss my girls just terribly. However this year I have decided to take advantage of this extra free time on my hands and be as productive as I can. I had a special project in mind for myself and spent the girls first day back to school being a bit selfish. I spent the entire day making myself something!!!!
I made a purchase on Etsy from a wonderful shop called RoughMagicCreations. http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5957625

Spiralaway is a beautiful pair of copper and wooden leaf bead spiral earrings. The beads are hand carved and just so unique. Upon there arrival was included a special gift from the creators of these fabulous earrings. A set of hand carved beads for my own personal use. I spent my last weekend thinking of ways I could use the beads and in awe of the fact that these great people that I met over at the about.com jewelry forums were so kind and generous to gift these beads to me.

I have met so many wonderful people at the forum and it amazes me how you can meet people that you will never meet face to face and build such wonderful caring relationships with them that they feel as if they are family.

Now that I had these hand carved wooden beads, it was time to get busy and see if I could make myself something out of the ordinary and worthy of RoughMagicCreations so they to would be pleased with the outcome too. There jewelry is far more detailed and sparkly than what I make and just beautiful, I hope every one reading this will take a minute to visit there Etsy shop and check out there blog, I know you'll be happy you did.
Maine Made Hancrafted Jewelry
http://miranda-wwwfeedbacktheatrebooks.blogspot.com

I'm not sure these links to there blog will be click able so you may want to copy and paste.

Now for my project. I hand cut the copper disc doming it with the doming block and dapping tools. I hand carved the flower shape using a file then stamped the rose in the center using metal stamps. The chain is copper with the wooden beads added and
one wooden bead dangle added to the pendant. I have included some rather simple purple glass beads. Again much more simple than there own designs but that's the fun of creating using your own ideas. It makes eveyone's jewelry unique and individual and one of a kind. I was really very pleased with the way this necklace turned out and it will be a favorite of mine for years to come and cherished as my friends are at RoughMagicCreations. I hope you enjoy seeing it as I have enjoyed immensely making it, not to mention the fact that instead of sitting around missing my girls and wishing they were home with me instead of at school, I was happy and productive all at the same time. For me this was a great way to start out the girls first day back to school. So special thanks to my dear friends. Hugs to you both!!!!

2 comments:

beautifullybrokenme said...

Your pieces just keep getting better and better! I love the pendant - great job!

:-) Molly

Angie Kelly Designs said...

Good for you DeeDee! Your pieces are just lovely! I'm glad you made something for yourself; a treat every now and then is a boost for the soul! Have a great week :)
Angie